PREP TIME: 25 minutes in the oven or 10-20 minutes in the microwave
6 Violife with Herb's slices (cut into strips) or Original Flavour Grated
3-4 medium sized potatoes (washed and cut in half)
Red and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 220ºC.
- Place the potatoes on baking paper and rub little olive oil all over them and add the vegan cheese like Original Flavour Grated, or Original Flavour Slices, or Slices with Herbs.
- Season with a bit of red and black pepper.
- Cook for 20 minutes in the oven or until it melts and the potatoes are a lovely crisp brown.
- Serve with a salad, like a watercress salad.
My Tip: For a faster option, I would use a sharp knife and stab through the potatoes a few time. I find if I use a fork then it can damage the fork, plus a knife gets all the way to the centre. I typically wrap the potato in kitchen paper and put them on a low setting.
Depending on how powerful your microwave is, and how many potatoes and how big they are, but for me, I go power level 6 for about 10-12 mins for one, and 16-20 for more. But for powerful, new microwaves, then reduce the time.
Again depending on how quick you want to eat, if I'm cooking fast like at lunchtime, then I would cook it all the way in the Microwave. But if I were preparing for others or had more time to wait like at dinner-time or the weekend, then I would par-cook the potatoes in the microwave and finish off in the oven with the cheese which gives it that perfect crispy outside and melted cheese finish.
Generally, I would always par-cook them which saves a lot of time, save power for the oven or gas to heat the oven.
Another tip would be to add some chilli to the top for colour and a bit of extra spicy fun heat!